Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Reflections

It has now been a week since my CI has been activated. All in all its been ok. No, thats not correct, its been awesome! I am sitting here reflecting on the week and rereading my previous posts. First thing that comes to mind this morning as I write this is I am blessed. I am truly blessed. If I put all my trials and tribulations in a pile with others, I would grab mine back as they are insignificant compared to what others are dealing with. I am so fortunate to have the love and support of family and friends. And my church family. How do people survive without a church family? My husband, Ed has been my rock. He hears my joys and sorrows, my complaints...everything. He keeps me in line and keeps me seeing the big picture and reminds me how patient I need to be. A good friend told me yesterday...Karen! Its been a week! Yes it has and I am trying my best to relax and just let it come....to let things happen as they should... Ok on that note speaking of relaxing. I stayed indoors yesterday. I caught myself for the first time ignoring the little sounds my house makes. I was painting the baseboards in the hall of our home when I heard a noise. Oh yea, thats the fridge. and oh yea thats the dishwasher. Then I tuned them out! Here I am hearing these noises and I am tuning them out? Is that what I am supposed to do? Tell me that just after a week I am already working on selective hearing? I guess I am. Moving on, I feel like I need to mention my dog while I am reflecting on this past week. I apologize if I am long winded but it runs in the family and she is important to me also. My dog Shelby is, we think a 4 year old yellow lab who is a rescue. (Insert here a shout out to Low Country Lab Rescue, please support your rescues and animal shelters) She has always been my right arm or should I say ear and alerts me to EVERYTHING and I mean everything. Since having my implant she has a sense that something has changed. She is staying at my feet at all times and seems to need more cuddling and affirmation like she is still needed to help me "hear" things. While painting the baseboards she would lay beside me and watch me paint, as I slid, she slid...so cute. Now when I am at the computer or sitting down reading, she would just come and put her nose in my lap and just look up at me. So sweet. So she is adjusting to this as everyone else. Im also feeling a bit guilty and whimpy today as I am not at my swim class nor am I going to choir practice tonight. The swim, because I just dont feel like going  lol and the choir, I was thinking that maybe it is a bit too soon to introduce music afterall. What do you think? Heres to hearing ya and have a great day. And as always, thanks again for stopping by and giving me your support and encouragement. It means everything to me. It is because of you that I am trying so hard to make this CI successful. Later!

2 comments:

  1. Selective hearing is definitely for real. We all practice it all the time. We only hear a fraction of what is introduced to our ears. Just ask my wife! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it Jim...I have started the process of learning how to do it already! Thanks for stopping by,great hearing from you!

      Delete