Sunday, January 8, 2012

The day I awaited for is almost over...

Today is Sunday. The 1st Sunday in my new world with a CI. Oh how I looked forward to today as I had a list of things to listen to. I was so excited to get up and get ready to go to church! It was almost like the 1st day of school! I arrived in Sunday School and everyone was great. I participated in small group conversations before the class started which I usually do but usually just nod and smile. Today I did and everyone either sounded like a robot or a duck. What a great time I had chitchatting with everyone. The class begun, my husband had the opening prayer which I heard with my eyes closed and I must say, I love that guy. His prayer was wonderful and perfect. I heard the lesson overall at least I thought I did and even made a few comments towards the end of class. Not really sure how I did but I hoped I followed the lesson along well enough that my comment was not too off the wall. Ed had to leave early or he would have told me how I "performed" In the past I would make comments that had no real meaning to anything and Ed would just say, sorry, she didnt hear you right. This group knows me well enough that they would hear me out regardless and be gracious and not say anything if I missed it. Anyway, I thought I heard really well for my 1st time out. So, with that Im winning the world kind of attitude, I head down to the sanctuary. Oh my goodness...The organ started and I thought I was going to lose it! I heard all this racket! The foot pedals sounded like thunder, the higher notes were screeching! I was so upset.Then...here comes the choir. The minute I had been waiting for. One of the main reasons I got my CI was to participate with my choir. The choir starts and all I could do was cry and collapse in the inside. MY beloved choir sounded like a little country church choir that all sang in unison and screeched out the high notes. I hope I dont offend anyone with my comparisons, that is not my intention. Just wanted you to know what I heard. It was devastating to me. Now I know with me starting to sing to myself yesterday and to Ed and his mom, I knew it would not be perfect. I didnt know it would be that bad! I told Ed afterwards that I just wanted to go home and pull the covers up over me. And that is what I did. I slept all afternoon! Now I know I have my work cut out for me and I am ready. I am going to put on my cowboy boots and go after it all and win! Thanks to you all for reading my blog and showing me your support. Because of friends like you make me want to rise above and get out there a kickin' to win this thing and be successful. Have a great week and heres hearing to you! Later!

3 comments:

  1. Karen, I went back and read all of your posts (which I urge everyone to do). I can't help but think that once you get used to living (and hearing) with a CI it will become your new "normal". It's funny though - while I knew a CI would improve hearing I didn't know it could loosen purse-strings ;) Best of wishes to you living in this new and noisy world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't give up. I know exactly how you feel. The sanctuary of a church does have a tendency to have the sounds bouncing off the walls and floors. I know that did in Pilgrim Church. I hated listening to things that way, then they had a system where you can wear the 'walk-man' and listen through the headphones. I seized that opportunity, and through the 'telephone' switch on my hearing aid, everything sounded as it should. However, seeing that CI is different from HA, your brain will adapt to all of this and everything will sound 'normal'. I have some questions about the CI, so I'll bug you on FB chat about it. ;)

    ReplyDelete